I saw there was a moment last year where ‘gratitude journals’ suddenly became super popular. And this is fine, and cute, and quaint, but I could see myself just repeating myself day after day, being grateful for the same old things. And then maybe resenting them for being so perpetually joy-inducing.
I am grateful that my dog is fluffy.
I am grateful that my sheets smell nice today.
You get the idea.
But this week, I am feeling extremely grateful because of this here little blog. And in light of recently hitting 1000 overall views earlier today (thank you SO much!), I thought I’d share with you some of the things that I’m currently grateful for that are all basically thanks to YOU here reading this article!
- Reconnecting with old friends. Blogging has reconnected me to one of my old uni friends I haven’t spoken to in over 2 years. And now, thanks to my skincare posts, we chat regularly and are planning to meet up a week today. This friendship would never have been rekindled if I hadn’t started my blog, or if my friend hadn’t taken the time out of their day to read my posts and I’m grateful for both these things.
- The kindness of strangers. A couple of Twitter users, who don’t know me in real life, DM’d me last week just to tell me how much they like my blog posts. I admit, I was unsure as to whether they were bots, or after follows/views themselves, but I feel like the comments were genuine. Or rather, I choose to believe they were. It feels nice to know that people out there are enjoying my writing. I’m grateful to them for being kind to me, and thus raising my self-confidence with my blogging.
- The internet. Because I couldn’t have done this 20 years ago. Now I’ve digitally connected with other bloggers in Leeds, in Northern Ireland, and as far-flung as New York, to name just a few. I’m grateful I have the opportunity to get to know all of you through your blogs. As someone who is usually lonely, this does actually mean a lot, as weird as it sounds.
- My blog, in general. For giving my evenings purpose and making me feel like I’m using my pre-disposition for writing. For giving me a creative outlet when I feel suffocated in other areas. For helping me sleep by tiring me out from staying up until 11pm every night editing a new post (!) For being something I’m proud of.
And if we take a second away from the world of blogging, here are some other things that I am always grateful for:
- Black tea and coffee
- LUSH products
- Gossip Girl/Merlin/Broadchurch
- Owning a fluffy dog.
- Working in a bookstore.
- Having a network of friends all around the UK
THANK YOU for reading this – you are AMAZING! What are you grateful for, this fine day? Let me know in the comments and let’s spread the positivity. 🙂 🙂
As always, see you tomorrow! P.